23 Apr 2008

To vote for Corey......

Big Brother, love it or hate it, it’s still here…and it just won’t go away. I don’t want to use the word enduring (manly because I can’t stand the show) but as one of the first reality TV shows, it kind of is. I remember the first series when I was living in London - it was new and everyone loved it – the pubs even had to start showing it because customers where leaving to get home to watch it.

The point of this post is the “rumour” that Corey Worthington is going to be a housemate in the upcoming series of Australia Big Brother. For those of you that aren’t familiar with Corey have a look at some of my earlier posts here and here. But, as a quick recap, he posted details of a party he was having on his MySpace page and invited all his MySpace friends to come. The result was 500 teenagers in a small Melbourne street, a police response unit and a rather embarrassing interview on ACA (for Leila McKinnon, not Corey)

MyTake – This is a great way to reinvigorate a boring, boring show. I have a friend that works in TV production, so I know how hard it can be to come up with new concepts for a show, and this is probably one of the best ideas yet. The interesting thing is that kids such as Corey can launch TV careers using MySpace and that virtual stars are becoming mainstream stars. In a show that is quite literally all about TV, it’s funny that a web star is needed to save it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We're definitely approaching a blurring of the lines between traditional television and the 'stars' from there and this new breed of 'web star'.

From memory one of the first people to really make the crossover from web to tv was Tila Tequila and I think she's actually had 2 seasons now of her 'Shot of love' show on mtv.

Personally, I wont be anywhere near Big Brother. I don't have a problem with the morals of the show or anything like that, I just think it's boring and I'm so far over reality television that I couldn't stand another season of it.

Alan Parker said...

I'm with you on the big brother front. There is no room for any more reality TV in our household! I'll probably watch Corey's stage managed, heavily scripted entrance though...not sure why