28 May 2008

Scream if you want to go faster

When I was a kid, holograms were to be found on collectible cards such as the panini cards of your favourite football player and the most famous "hologram" was the bloke on the British Sci-fi sitcom, Red Dwarf. Boy, have things changed.

Yesterday, Australian telco Telstra transmitted a 3D holographic image of its chief technology officer Hugh Bradlow to a conference it was holding in Adelaide while he was in Melbourne. He/the hologram talked and interacted with the audience for about a quarter of an hour and the company said it was a demonstration of the sort of high speed transmission of huge data that was now possible.

MyTake - In my lifetime, I've seen the phone move from a little table in the hallway to the car, to your pocket. I've also seen the computer become an integral part of everyday life for not just business, but also personal use. As a British ex-pat living in Australia, it's fantastic to have the opportunity to talk to my parents who live in France and my partners parents that live in Sweden - all using iChat or Skype. The idea, that sometime soon, we could have 3D holograms of each other in our lounge rooms is phenomenal. My Dad tells me when he was young, you'd have to "book" a phone call to another country and now we are talking about holograms. Scream if you want to go faster.

0 comments: