16 Sept 2008

Lots of Thread(les)s to wear

I’ve been a T-shirt junky for a while now and I love it when I pick up something that I know a lot of other people aren't going to have. It all started for me when I was living in London and still considered myself to be relatively young and cool. I fell in love with small boutique brands like CardBoredRobert and my passion has never left, even though my cool factor has probably waned (a lot). But every now and again, I pick-up a new T when I find something off the beaten track. 

So, you can imagine my joy when I came across Threadless, which actually combines my love of all things social on the web with original ideas that manifest themselves as T-shirts. It’s hard to describe exactly what Threadless does in its entirety because it’s more than just a T-Shirt company. They are a community of artists and fans that come up with new ideas for T-shirts, help shape those ideas and then help bring the T-shirts to life through UGC such as fan pictures

The design featured in this post caught my attention and the designer, Evan Ferstenfeld, says this of it “This slogan came to me while thinking about our trusty ol' internet, and what would happen if without warning it decided to roll down its iron gates and close up tight for the holidays and beyond like any other shopping arena in real life? My guess: a 135 percent increase in people rolling on the floor laughing at bars and picnics around the globe.” And drinking beer Evan, don’t forget the beer…. 

MyTake – Pretty damn awesome idea, I’m just going to have to figure out how to get a T-shirt before they sell out! I love the collaborative approach they have taken and the idea of the Street Team is a great way to engage an already active community. It’s not going to change the world, but it will bring a smile to your face, it will give designers the chance to showcase their work, and most importantly….it’ll give me a bit of cool back.




0 comments: