27 Feb 2007

2 is not the magic number


We live in a society obsessed by health, so much so that we have numbers attached to every aspect of our health - how much we should weigh, our blood pressure, how much water we should drink, how many pieces of fruit we should eat and so on. It's the last numbers that interest me the most, the ones about the water and the fruit - how on earth are you supposed to do this?

I tried drinking 2 litres of water a day and spent most of my time in the toilet. And the fruit - I only have three meals a day, when am I supposed to squeeze all this fruit in. This focus on water and fruit is a massive departure from the standard bloke diet of beer and meat, with a few fries thrown in - making it practically impossible for us to adopt. In comparison to the average girls diet of nothing and rice cakes, water and fruit probably seems quite appealing.

My thoughts - beer is wet so it obviously contains water and we drink plenty of that and there's no substitute for a good old lump of meat, as our mate Sam Neill quite rightly points out- "red meat, we were meant to eat it." Genius Sam, just genius.

0 comments: