10 Feb 2009

Fry's top of the tweets

One of my favourite ports of call when it comes to interesting and original news is The Times Online. During my first stint in London I was actually quite good pals with the online time who I have to say have done an absolutely outstanding job. Today I was reading a story about the most popular celebrities on Twitter, which was really very interesting.... for more than one reason

Top of the list was none other that Stephen Fry, which I can actually understand, but other notables include the likes of Lance Armstrong, Britney Spears and Rick Sanchez..... don't worry if you don't know him, he's actually a US news anchorman.

The really interesting story for me isn't who's the most popular, but it's the relationship between them and their audience. What better way of getting your celebrity fix than checking their Twitter feed? It's real (we hope), up to date and actually authored (we hope) by your favourite celeb - what could be better, how can the likes of OK and Reveal compete with that?

MyTake - Is this the gossip mag for a whole new generation, the celebrity's very own broadcasting channel? It could be, and for me if I actually wanted to find out what my favourite celeb was doing that's the first place i'd look. But what about the people that actually are interested in that kind of content, is Twitter at the point where they even know it exists or is this type of usage that actually pushes it right the way through to the mainstream. Time (as usual) will tell



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you hit the nail on the head. The notion of bypassing the media who, let's face it, have not been terribly kind to celebrities, and having direct communication with their fanbase is what makes Twitter so attractive. It's the reason they're turning to it in droves.

Alan Parker said...

Yes, the next question I suppose is if (or not) there is a way that said celebs can turn it into some kind of extra earning stream - how would they and indeed could they/should they monetise it?