29 Aug 2008

Facebook - coming to a big screen near you

If you were to take a guess as to the subject of a Sony/Aaron Sorkin collaboration you’d be forgiven for this it could be about the Iraq war, the Bush presidency perhaps even the life and times of Barack Obama. But, sadly, you’d be wrong. Sorkin has in fact signed-up to write the screenplay for Facebook – The movie.

As a first step, he’s even posted a note on Facebook: “I've just agreed to write a movie for Sony and producer Scott Rudin about how Facebook was invented. I figured a good first step in my preparation would be finding out what Facebook is, so I've started this page….. I honestly don't know how this works, which is why I'm here. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them as best I can. If anyone has any comments I'm glad to listen. And if anyone has any Facebook stories I think they might be helpful.”

There isn’t any more information about the movie on the group page, but there are already 38 discussion topics, 3,842 members and 432 wall posts. So, it’s being taken seriously.
MyTake – The Facebook story has all the elements of a blockbuster, expect the end. With the story the way it is, it’s sort of like The Empire Strikes back – we were all left hanging until Return of The Jedi put us out of our misery. But seriously, it’s another example of the social media world influencing the offline world to the extent that millions of dollars are about to be spent. The interesting thing here is whether or not they will use Facebook as part of the pre-release process – i.e. sharing information, clips and images. Taking it one step further, will any of the stories included in the discussion board I mention above be used in the actual film….questions, questions….

0 comments: