27 Aug 2008

You the Ad Man

If there are those that still doubt the power and value of user-generated content, read on. Based on an Australian idea a website called Supevirals has been set up that encourages the average Joe to submit advertising ideas to some of the world biggest brands.

Sure, on the face of it you might think it’s just those ad boys being lazy (apologies my advertising cousin – I only jest) but it’s actually quite clever. Most brands out there have a number of enthusiasts that would jump at the chance to create something for their favourite brand, this idea taps into that passion.

The idea is now headed to the US with venture capitalists after US$3million to get both investors and advertisers on board. The end product is bound to be top notch as VioCorp are the guys providing the back-end technology, which means the user experience is going to be pain free – thus encouraging more people to take part.

MyTake – SuperSmart! I saw a quote recently from the CEO of P&G and it reads: “The power is with the consumer. Consumers are beginning, in a very real sense, to own our brands and participate in their creation.” I fully agree with that statement and I think that Supervirals is an online manifestation of that belief. I wonder what my first advertising idea will be for, something that I have a lot of Passion for …. James Squire’s, there’s a good one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been trying to get my misses to sign up on Supervirals, she comes up with advertisements all the time for such a bizarre range of products from Subway to anti-smoking ads.

I might have to sign up and then post her ideas when she tells me them..haha..

Alan Parker said...

You have to - make some money at of those ideas!