4 Mar 2008

The goggles never lie

You know those arguments where someone says “I never said that” or “I’m sorry, I don’t remember that meeting”, or even “No, I never touched that”? Well, these phrases could soon be a thing of the past if some researchers at the University of Tokyo have their way.

They have developed a pair of video goggles that records everything that the wearer looks at and recognises objects and assigns names to, then to top it all, another program goes back and creates an easily searchable database of the recorded footage. Ultimately designed to function as a high-tech memory aid, the goggles promise to make losing your keys, wallet or mobile phone a thing of the past.

MyTake – I think the goggles have an even more interesting use beyond that of a memory aid. As I suggested at the beginning of the post, those sticky situations of did they/didn’t they could be easily resolved, plus perhaps a more interesting use could be as a UGC capture device. News crews could be fitted out with them when going to cover a story, or even holiday makers could purchase a pair of “Holiday goggles” to ensure they never missed a second.

0 comments: